Friday, January 9, 2015

I Am...


Christian Dixon
Mrs. Fraser
Creative writing
8 January 2015


I Am…
I am young, not yet an adult, but no longer a child. I am 17 years old.
I am an artist, always creating, always thinking.
A student in high school, constantly working, trying to find a career to pursue his likeness in art.
I am an octopus, always exploring, innovating, and discovering in way that others do not, doing multiple things at one time.
I am running water, going where I need to be going, whatever way, as long as I’m dedicated.
I am a brother, two two younger children. Fighting, and playing, with no reason, but forced to live together.
I am
A young baobab, growing slowly, only to become a great, tall tree full of age and wisdom, in a dry environment.
A pen, drawing with no direction what so ever, but coming together to make as beautiful picture.
I am like a heron, and do not enjoy being in groups of people for long.
I am modern, owning many new devices, and staying updated with technology.
I am like an otter, and always like to have fun.
 I am from the nation of Zulu, and support others in the Race.
I am a huge family, spread across the country, pursuing new dreams.
I am confusing, as most people do not understand how I think.
I am loving, and can never stand to put somebody down.
I am the sum of all of my choices through my life, and that’s what I’ll continue to be.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this, Christian, and I like that you are a bit of a mystery, "confusing" as you put it. I can be the same way, and I know just what you mean about needing groups of people in short doses and long stretches of being alone. I admire your artistic talents and I hope you're able to work your art into your writing in ways you find authentic and fulfilling. I hope the same for your future and career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the line "I am the sum of all of my choices through my life, and that’s what I’ll continue to be."
    I hope the sum of your decisions turns out to be good. Looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the octopus and baobab metaphors. The baobab tree is glorious, and I love the description and detail it added to this poem. I also relate 100% to the line about your siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate a lot to this entire poem but mostely the last sentence amd the Heron metaphor about not being in a big group od people for long. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete